Sunday, February 24, 2008

INQUEST TURNED TO INVESTIGATION



Full of compromises, intrigues, competitions, confusions, yet intuitions.

"Nano, do you know the risk we are taking?" my first word when greeted by Nano at the airport, a film crew friend from Yogya whom I asked to be our chauffeur during our production in Yogya-Solo. He nodded, “Yes, Mas Agus told me what happened”.

The first ride from Yogya to Solo.. and all the rides afterward left my mind to take full course of wisdom. I knew something was not right. What I thought would be a film based on my inquest on why we had never displayed enough respect and affection on our own heritage, now turned to be an investigation on the murder of Lambang Babar Purnomo, a key witness from stolen artifacts case in Solo.

He was also scheduled to meet us, on the morning he was murdered.

“So I heard what happened. Do you think he was killed because of an international TV station was to interview him, Sakti?” Mick the Big Boss, EP in KL office, phoned me. “Nah.. He was taken down because he would have something more to say, not only about the case… But he’s preparing something more astonishing!”, I replied. “Sakti, just take extra precautions, okay..!” He was worried. So were we.

We finished the production in 2 weeks time.. 4 nights in Yogya, 4 nights in Solo, 3 nights in Jakarta, then back to Solo for 2 nights before 1 night previewing rough cut and failed narration in Kuala Lumpur. We left all parties out there questioning our standpoint.. Whose side were we?

We would not take sides, nor point our finger.. The mystery is a misery. It was all about money, greed and pride.

Now back to my comfort zone, enjoyed real breakfast, shaven face, played with my dog and teased my little girl.

Some whom I met during production have enriched my wisdom of life. Go Tik Swan, the senior tycoon cum art collector, impressed me with his warmth and deep personality. I promised to visit him again next I’m around. Ambar, the reason why we were there, a close friend of Lambang whom I think should have been a private investigator..=).. Then Hywel Davies the producer as well as Lee Ali the cameraman.. Who reminded me about punctuality, professionalism, and humanity.


Why humanity?... They were foreigners, they possessed little knowledge on the matter, but they kept trying to understand the matter. They were not the best, but they tried.. If I was to produce with my own team, I would do it differently. At least, much deeper on the human interest side of it.. But the heck with it. Considered it done. =)

"Art of Deception" will be on aired soon at Aljazeera English beginning of March 2008. Details on airing time will be posted soon.

Written by,

Sakti Parantean
Director – Art of Deception

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home