Sunday, September 10, 2006

Priceless Heritage

Sometime we do not realize that the time we are here on earth... Trying to enjoy this life, which is only once….. and being just a small element of the whole universe which has existed millions of years…

Maybe this life is too busy, that we have never thought about what happened before we live…? Who were our ancestors…? What ever happened to them…? Any of them looked alike…? – Imagine your great great great grandparent looked just like you… Or imagine you had an ancestor who had similar behavior just like you… Or maybe had the same profession… Like me for example… Im a film maker… Would there any chance that any of my ancestors was a story teller… (like in Tjoet Njak Dien film)? Or a Dalang…? Hahahaha…

Imagine if your father was the King of Javanese Kingdom, Solo – Sultan Pakubuwana XIII. He inherited it from your late grandfather who was the King of Solo, Sultan Pakubuwono XII. You are going to your Solo home, with all the anxiety, happiness and pride. Your Kingdom will hold the honour to conduct Kingdom’s of Indonesia Festival. Many Kings and Sultans from old Indonesian Kingdoms will attend the party….

But you are going to a home of disputes… a home of conflicts… You father stepped up the crown carrying on his shoulders all the problems faced by Keraton. One of your uncles claimed he should have been the King. The whole city was divided into 2 lines.

Solo or Surakarta has been long known as a city of conflict. The Keraton was descendant of the great Mataram Kingdom… Keraton Solo also gave birth to Keraton Jogjakarta.

Above all, this story that I just started a week ago will be my new baby. Makin this story makes me feel like I am taken back to the past… With all moving visuals playing in my head.. Imaging I am witnessing a history in making.
It pushed myself to think about my ancestors…Who did you come from? Who gave me birth to this belief? Considering both my parents were born in Toraja, I could be assumed as the first generation born and living outside the land. Imagine if I could track back the time to get to know each of my ancestors.. Its creepy….! How would they live without lights and electricity? No TV?... Ow.. Shit! Yeah maybe if I was born 100 years earlier, I would be a Dalang….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home